Sunday, January 31, 2010

Thirteen Years Ago, Tomorrow...

It was thirteen years ago tomorrow, (February 1st) that I became a woman according to the Jewish religion, and celebrated this esteemed honor at my Bat-Mitzvah. Thirteen years ago tomorrow, I stood on the bima and chanted my haftorah in front of friends and family alike, making my debut into the society of Jewish womanhood. According to my own standards of womanhood, (biological womanhood that is) this entrance would not really take place until a year later, in 1998 (with the arrival of my first period). Yes, 1998. And yes, I was a late bloomer. And, if you really want to take it one step further, according to my journal, I didn't really classify myself as a woman until a few more years later, when I er...um...ya know... did it for the first time.

Well, here I am thirteen years since my bat-mitzvah (and still struggling to figure out if I've really entered womanhood or not). Because the truth is, the me of thirteen years ago, is not all that different from the person that I am today. Perhaps, physically yes, but where it really counts--no. I am the same Lauren (Lorna-Lornie-Loretta-Lawsie-Wagon-Fisher-Fishface-Fishballz-Fishypantz) that I was thirteen years ago, and hopefully will be the same person thirteen years from now, at (GASP) age thirty-nine!

Let's go ahead and examine the similarities and differences; 1997 to 2010.

Thirteen years ago, I was bopping, dancing and singing to mid 90's dance tunes any free chance I got, oh wait-- definitely still doing that. (Only now, I prefer to do this alone, and naked in my apartment).

Thirteen years ago, I camped out in front of the TV every Wednesday night to watch 90210 on Fox. (The only difference now is, I have three episodes of 90210 dvred a day).

Thirteen years ago, spin the bottle was my favorite game; I'm pretty sure that I played spin the bottle with my college friends six months ago.

Thirteen years ago, I was voted Most Enthusiastic and Friendliest in a student poll. I'd like to think that these personality traits remain true today.

Many of the people that attended my bat-mitzvah thirteen years ago, were the very same people that were at my 26th birthday party just last weekend.

Thirteen years ago my bat-mitzvah theme was Hippies Rule. Okay, so I'm a bit more 80's and 90's centric now--but none the less still decade oriented.

Thirteen years ago, I was boy crazy, doodling my name with the last names of boys that I liked, unfortunately for me--I'm still doing this.

Thirteen years ago, I was a middle camp girl at Camp Schodack. Thirteen years later, I wish that I could be a middle camp girl at Camp Schodack.

Thirteen years ago, I hated math and dreaded going to math class each and every day. Now, thirteen years later, I teach math and dread teaching it each and every day.

I could think of many more similarities, but I think you get the point. That is: for many of us, we don't really change all that much. We are who we are, for better and for worse. If you're lucky enough to stay true to yourself, then just maybe you'll always feel like a thirteen year old on the inside.

Just for fun. What's different? Well, thirteen years ago, I didn't love my bacaaadi, I did not resemble an Asian quite as much as I do today, I had to have pads sewn into my bat-mitzvah dress so that I had tiny tits to show off. And oh, at thirteen I used to average about 4 boyfriends a year. So, okay--maybe just a little bit has changed...

No comments:

Post a Comment