Friday, January 8, 2010

Apartment Building Crush

When you live in a big apartment building, you are bound to see lots of people each and every day. Bustling about, going to and from work, to and from the gym, to and from dates, and all of the other places that young 20-somethings are always on the run to in this city. But, what happens when you start to see the same people again, and again? Those same familiar faces who hold doors for you, and who smile at you on elevators. What do you do?

I think that I have an apartment building crush. I don't know his name. In fact, I don't know anything about him. But, I will tell you this: I know his smile, and it's lovely. I see him around the building going to and fro quite often. Over the past few weeks, we've developed a really nice smile relationship. We see each other,we recognize each other, and then, we smile at one another. Yup, things are really developing at a rapid pace, by this time next year, we'll probably be waving at each other too.

Yesterday, I came home from work, and he was steps in front of me, holding the door open for me. Then we chatted on the elevator about the magazine catalogs that I had gotten in the mail!?! Oh, how I loathe you, awkward small talk. I did however, make a mental note of what floor he lives on--and that's floor # 9. As soon as I stepped off the elevator onto my own floor, I thought: Dangit. I should have introduced myself! I wonder if he was thinking the same thing. I thought about hopping back on the elevator and finding him on the 9th floor but then thought, wait just a second there, psycho.

So, alas. I will have to wait until I see him again, and this time I won't just smile at him--I won't just talk to him about Pottery Barn either. This time, I will extend a handshake, and tell him my name. But who are we kidding? With my luck, he's probably moving out tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment