Tuesday, January 26, 2010

All The Single Gentleman

Disclaimer: When in this blog, I refer to my "friend" I really do mean my friend, I don't mean me.

Also: There are plenty of single males who are kind, not idiots and who do not treat girls like poop. Unfortunately, this blog is not about that percentage of males, but is instead about the idiot, poop-treaters.

What is this breed of species, known as the single male? The more exposed I am to this foreign being, the less I understand. This blog came to me, while talking on ghcat today to one of my best babes, Ma-wa. After Ma-wa really hit it off at my birthday party with a friend of a friend. (Hitting it off= exchanging numbers and making out at the bar). Ma-wa told me today that she seriously doubts she'll ever hear from this guy again. I asked her what made her so sure of that. She said that it was just an instinct that she had. Sadly, Ma-wa could be right, as I have started to learn the hard way to trust my instincts when it comes to the NYC single male. Why do some guys treat girls like crap? Is it because we let them get away with it? Probably. But, it just may be my life's mission to find out.

Another friend of mine was dating a guy that she knew pretty well, as they had met through close mutual friends. Said guy and girl really hit it off, and were really seeming to enjoy one another's company. My friend had tried hard to break her previous habits, of doing it on date # 1. Instead, she decided to take it slow. She waited six dates before doing it with him. (I think that for the exception of being totally blindly set up--where the person is an actual stranger)-- if you have some previous relationship with the person you are going out with, (and you are into each other) the guy will try to do it with you, if not on date # 1, then certainly by date# 2.) I think that this deranged social norm would actually be fine, if you knew that the guy would speak to you again. I think that we all know someone (present company included) who fooked too soon, and never heard from the guy again.

But ah yes, back to my friend. My friend broke her previous habits, and waited it out until date # 6. On the sixth date, (after dinners, movies and drinks) she finally went back to his place, and well...boned. Guess what? That was the last she ever heard from him. How is this okay? Can you really just automatically lose interest in someone the minute that you get what you want? Don't get me wrong, I think that we've all been there; where we are repelled the morning after by a poor decision that we've made on the occasional drunken night. But that is different. This is not the same thing as completely blowing someone off in a developing relationship.


Then there is Paul. Paul is a friend of a friend who I met one night back in November. Paul and I had a good time together, but then he left for two months to go to Texas. Things kind of faded (as he was 3,000 miles away). On Monday, Paul texted me that he was back in New York City; would I like to meet him in a half hour? A HALF HOUR? YOU ARE GIVING ME A HALF HOUR'S NOTICE? Paul is not the first guy to do this to me. Now, it's one thing to be out on a Friday night, and text me to meet you somewhere in fifteen minutes. Fine. It's Friday, I'm already out. But on a Monday, do you really expect me to drop whatever it is I'm doing and race out to meet someone who I have met once and have not seen in two months? And besides, a half hour!?! I could probably spend one whole hour deciding what to wear! I told Paul that a half hour wouldn't work for me, (especially seeing as I was in New Jersey at the time when he had texted). Paul said okay, and asked if I was free Wednesday. I said sure. Paul asked; What time works for you? I told him, and asked if that time also worked for him. Guess what? He NEVER wrote back. How fucking rude can you be? Hey Paul, YOU TEXTED ME. I was perfectly fine without you. What the fuck is wrong with people?

There are countless other single males, who I could speak of in this blog, but I feel I may have done enough damage to get my point across. Because as much as I hate the NYC single male, well...I kind of also love him, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment