Monday, January 18, 2010

Riding Along In My Automobile

Every once in a while, it is nice to leave the city. To get a change of scenery, and to go back home to my cozy house in New Jersey. I love going home. Aside from getting the opportunity to spend countless hours following Little Mimi Girl around the house (one of my top 5 favorite pastimes). I also get to spend some quality time--just me, and my set of wheels. (Technically, they are no longer my set of wheels--as my parents sold my car last year--and no, I'm still not over it). But, oh-- how I love you, driving. Even though, some might say that my driving skills are sub-par ( I've knocked off two car's sideview mirrors, drove up onto countless curbs, had 2 minor accidents, recieved 17 speeding tickets--three in one day-- and a license suspension in the spring of 2006), And yet, despite all of these minor setbacks, there is nothing I love to do more than get behind the wheel and take off.

My first true love: the blue jeep. There was nothing that I loved more than the blue jeep. I'm gonna go ahead and say it, at 17, driving this sleek machine, I felt freaking cool. January 23, 2001. I'll love you forever, you were my 17th birthday, and you were also the birth of independence as I know it. I had just received my driver's license, (and with my January birthday, was one of my first friends to bestow this great honor). The minute my mom and I arrived home from the DMV (the happiest place on Earth), I ran inside to grab my sunglasses. (It was the middle of January, with no sunshine in sight). With a jingle of my keys, I waved goodbye to my mom, trying to ignore the panicked look that came across her face.
(An aside: I think that look was extremely well warranted, with all of my driving mishaps that were to come).

I got in the driver's seat by myself, for the very first time. I turned the key in the ignition. Shaggy's,"It Wasn't Me" was playing on the radio, I looked in my rearview mirror, and I was off. On that very first drive, I still remember my exact route. I went to pick up Rweissypantz and Votzy at school. (They were still sixteen and thus, did not have their licenses). Where would we go now that the entire world was at our fingertips? The answer was simple. TCBY, of course. On the way to the country's best yogurt, I almost sideswiped our friend's mom (Sorry, Schwartz). And then proceeded to drive on the wrong side of the road. (And, no this would not be the first time that I did that).

A few weeks later, still reveling in my new found freedom, I pulled straight out of my friend's driveway onto a busy street. I drove on the wrong side of the road for a good two minutes before I realized this. Who was in the car that I nearly crashed into? Oh, just two of my classmates from Livingston High School. Don't worry, it is nine years later, and I still hear, "Remember when you drove on the wrong side of the road on Shrewsbury Drive?" Everyone makes mistakes?

That jeep took me to and fro. It gave me my freedom, my livelihood, and my independence. (It also provided me with the opportunity to score some booty). Listen you guys, when you share a room with your younger sister until you are TWENTY-TWO, you can't exactly bring a bf home to make out with.

Today, back home in New Jersey, I slipped into my mom's car, (a Toyota Highlander) not quite as cool as the Jeep--but okay, I'll take it. I slid into the driver's seat, turned the key, and wouldn't you know--Shaggy's, It Wasn't Me was playing on the radio. It was fate. Bopping around town. I feel young, I feel invincible, I feel seventeen. And oh man, I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment