Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Third Grade State of Mind

As a third grade teacher, part of my job is to try and understand the mental psyche, and rationale of eight and nine year olds. Often times, I can easily empathize with my students. For many adults, this is not an easy thing to do, as they find it hard to remember what it was like to be a kid. (These are probably the same adults that claim to hate children). And while some of the situations that upset my students baffle me, (Ie: Nick breathing too loudly) I don't have a particularly difficult time relating to my students. I've been told once, twice (or eighteen times) that I have a very kid-like persona. (3rd grade is probably a pretty good place for me). However, every once in a while, I am floored by the insight and thoughts that are produced by these children.

A group of third grade girls were sitting at a table creating paper dolls,clothing and accessories for their dolls to wear. I sat down at their table with them and began to chat about what they were making. The girls were discussing their paper dolls, when Emily lifted her head up, put down her marker and asked, "Do you want to get married?" Caught off guard at the frankness of her question, Emily continued on..."Why aren't you married, you are soooo nice!" (I love you, Emily).
(An aside: At this point in the year, with thirteen school days to go, "nice" is the not the word that I would use to describe myself. Exhausted, frustrated, exasperated, irritated, agitated, annoyed, any of those would do)....But, Nice? Not so much anymore. Each morning I come into school, with positive attitude, and a smile on my face, but by the time 2:45 pm rolls around, I am ready to chuck one (or eleven) kid(s) out of our 4th floor window.

Before, I could respond to Emily's question, Sari jumped in. "Well, Emily--she's not married yet because she is just waiting for the right guy!" Chelsea chimed in with, "Of course, you're going to meet the right guy--you have such a great personality!"

STOP. (Collaborate and listen, Ice is back with a brand new edition).

Sorry, as per usual, my inner jukebox beckoned...but, seriously... STOP. When did my students become therapists/my # 1 fan club/ myJewish mother, aunt, and grandmothers!?!?

Are these not very same conversations that I am forced into every holiday season and family occasion? Was I aware that eight year old girls were capable of this kind of thought? No, I was not. Did their insight amaze me? Yes. Are these girls Junior Jewish mothers, aunts and grandmothers in training? Yes. Yes, they are.

1 comment:

  1. i'm telling you--you don't find these kinds of kids just anywhere. these are straight outta nyc-private-quaker school kids. consider yourself lucky!

    ReplyDelete