Sunday, May 9, 2010

Meta-Cognetics

For the first time in two years, I finally learned something useful in graduate school. (It's a good thing that I've taken out 30 grand in loans and am getting so much out of this mother-forking degree). What I've learned is: As human beings, we do not take our last meta-cognitive leap until we are thirty years old. So, essentially, the whole growing up/maturity/thought processing part of you, doesn't really kick into full swing until you are thirty. And suddenly, everything makes sense! It seems almost excusable that I still wake up on Sunday mornings with a pit in my stomach over some poor decision that I made the night before. And, why some of the boys that I know still act like fourteen year olds. (Hey, I still act like a seventeen year old, so I'm not judging). Regardless, it was extremely helpful for me to learn that there is a scientific explanation for an occasional lapse in judgement, and that I still have four more years before I'm expected to correct this. To all of you that find this news to be comforting too...then, well...your welcome.

This weekend was a good one. I spent Saturday and Sunday in Livingston, (land that I love) welcoming back an old friend, and honoring Little Mimi Girl on Sunday.
Sheetal, my friend since I was eleven years old, has spent the last two years living in Ethiopia working with children who have AIDS. (What a bitch!) She is back home in the USA, and dang--it feels good to have her back.

After a romantic dinner together, where we caught up on the last year and a half of our lives, we went to our local town establishment; The Landmark, where we met up with some of our other friends who were also in town for the weekend. While at the the Landmark, we did what we do best, and that is, of course, to make fun of each other. I set up camp in front of the jukebox, playing mid 90's hits, that every other bar patron hated me for, while my friends took turns being affectionately tortured by one another. Collectively, our level of maturity last night, peaked somewhere near the age of fifteen. But, hey--it's not our fault. Our last meta-cognitive leap hasn't taken place yet...and ya know what? That's pretty okay with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment