Sunday, May 16, 2010

A Fatt-Face Graduation

I learned some very important things over this past weekend.

1. Ear plugs might make for a good investment
2. If I don't tell people my age, they automatically assume that I'm seventeen years old.
3. My ipod consists solely of pop hits, without a mellow song in sight.
4. Seven female graduates, dressed in cap and gowns, will take at least seventy-nine of the exact same photograph.
5. Great news! If I am not married by the time I am 35, I have a back-up plan. (Thanks, DBA!) And, oh yeah--we're getting married at the Livingston High School Gazebo. See ya there?

The journey to Little Baby Fatt-Face Graduation Weekend 2010 began like any other. We arrived in Amherst, Massachusetts on Friday evening, just in time for our dinner reservations. After a lovely and (free) meal, (Thanks Mimi and Dad!), I went back to my parents' hotel. I figured that I would stay there Friday night since Heatzbabi had to be up earlier than we did for graduation. I thought I'd capitalize on a little extra sleep. I should have known better. (And that, was a mistake I won't soon be making again). I don't know how many twenty-six year olds have recently shared a room with their parents, but let me tell you-- it was quite an experience.

Little Mimi was dressed in her best moo-moo. And, I'm not even going to tell you what my dad wears to sleep. My parents were giggly and gassy! The two of them took turns stinking up our room. And, I mean it STANK. Just as the smell was beginning to die down, the snoring started up. My parents literally snore in rhythm with one another. (Sweet, right?). But, what do you do when you are sharing A SMALL ROOM with not one, but TWO snorers?

I did the only thing that I could do. I took out my ipod and tried to blast out the sound, which by the way sounded something like a moose in heat. (Or what I would imagine a moose in heat would sound like). Unfortunately for me, my ipod (which only consists of twenty-four songs) has no mellow music. Yeah, you try falling asleep to Christina Aguilera's, Fighter. Sleep did not come easily on Friday night. After each fart, raunchy comment or otherwise...my parents asked if I would be blogging about it. (FYI: My dad just learned how to use his e-mail account this year, so I'm not overly concerned with him reading his smelliness exploits).

We woke early on Saturday. The graduation ceremony was long, but provided me with many close to tears moments. (And, oh yeah, I just happened to sit next to a total hunk. Did we speak once? Of course not). When the 5,000 graduating seniors moved their tassles from one side of their cap to the other...well, I. was. done. for.

After caps sailed in the air, we celebrated back at Heaty's place with her seven roommates, and their families. After eating and drinking on her front lawn (We're pretty classy). We left to go eat and drink some more, at a fine Italian restaurant with one of Heaty's besties, and her family. Our families get along great, and we enjoyed a lovely evening together.

Afterwards, I went back with Heatzbabi to experience all that UMASS night life has to offer on graduation night. We went to her friend's apartment to pregame, where I was mistaken for a seventeen year old consistently throughout the night. I get it, I look young. After the pregame, we headed to the bar. (An aside: In the bar restroom, which was a single bathroom (no stalls) were not one, but TWO toilets. What this means is, you can pee side by side with your friends (or sister). Genius!

I left UMASS on Sunday, feeling extremely nostalgic for my own college days, (Thank god for Andy-Brent-Jimmy weekend in two!) I thought about my own tear filled drive home back in 2006, (Daniel Powter, Had a Bad Day on repeat). And, just as we pulled out of Heaty's driveway, 100 Years (Five for Fighting)was playing. It was kind of the perfect exiting song, as the lyrics discuss how time moves all too quickly. I could feel myself getting emotional, and swallowed a big lump in my throat. It's not easy growing up, is it? But as long as I am mistaken for a teenager... maybe I'll always feel young.

No comments:

Post a Comment