Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sid has SIDS.

Oh, hey everyone--Happy Memorial Day!! During this past weekend; one of my most favorite life events occurred; and that is, when my world's collide. For example, each year at my birthday party, I am in one room filled with camp friends, high school friends, college friends and work friends. There is nothing that I love more then when all of my worlds come together and interact with one another. Bringing me even greater pleasure than that, is when actual friendships blossom between my different groups of friends. Nothing could me happier. A couple of weeks ago, I wrote that my sister's graduation from college had made me feel very nostalgic for my own college friends, and former college life. This weekend, I certainly got my fix.

For four years, nine months out of the year, I spent my time in a little place called Narragansett, Rhode Island. What most people don't know about this beach town, located right near The University of Rhode Island, is just how beautiful and scenic it is. I spent my junior and senior years living footsteps away from the ocean, in an adorable beach house, amongst all of my friends in an entire beach community of actual nice, (not just college-kid nice) houses. Real grownups rented their beautiful summer homes to college kids during the school year. (Needless to say, very few of us ever received our security deposits back).

On Friday, BGbabe and Meelz accompanied me to Rhode Island. Neither of the girls went to college with me,(they are my friends from camp), but we all were embracing the chance to get away from the city for a couple of days. We spent our first night in Rhode Island at the Anchor Motel. So what if the motel didn't provide us with pillows, and our blankets were made of sandpaper? Were we going to let that stop us from having the BEST WEEKEND ever? No way, Jose! After I gave the girls a tour of the town, aka...visiting the best ice cream shops, and a drive by tour of every boy's house that I ever liked/made out with in college...we got ready for our night!

Dinner was at Turtle Soup with Katiekiwi (college bestie), Brent, Andy and Sid (Jimmy's stand-in for the night, as he was home with a sinus infection). These college friends live in Boston and Providence, but drove down to reunite on our former stomping grounds. After dinner, we went to Charlie-O's, my favorite bar in college. Being in a college bar, four years post college, after the school year has ended is a strange thing. I kept looking around, expecting to see my friends in different corners of the bar, instead I saw newly graduated seniors, and creepy old men. None the less, we had a blast: Sid has Sids (Yes, Sid. We know that you don't actually suffer from SIDS), Katie kissed Hunter?

Saturday was breakfast at Crazy Burger (obvi), and laying out on da beach. Saturday night we arrived at Brent, Andy and Jimmytown's apartment in Providence. (Peanut butter Jimmy. Peanut butter Jimmy and a baseball bat?) It was like old times, playing old drinking games with my old friends. My college friends + camp friends= a perfect match, and it was like everyone had known each other for years. Nothing could make my heart happier. We went to the bar, and to spare the humiliation of all participants involved, I'll simply say this: We had a great time dancing our pants off, and someone, let's just call her GUZ, had a great time with a boy...in a graphic tee, wearing not one, but two diamond earrings.

Sunday was spent in Newport, Rhode Island. A delightful little tourist trap, but we loved it just the same. On our drive back to New York, I couldn't help but think about how lucky I am to have such hilarious, amazing and accommodating friends. I spent 72 straight hours with my friends, and I felt the literal opposite of sick of them, I never wanted to leave their sides.

By the time BGbabe, Meelzy and I crossed back over into NY state lines, (and put away our sweethearts) our car ride became hilarious. I'm unsure as to why raising the roof became so funny, but that motion amongst others had us in stomach wrenching laughter. You've all been there before; you are on some sort of long ride, a cabin fever of sorts sets in, exhaustion takes over, and suddenly everything becomes hilarious. And, I loved every minute of it.

Am I sad that this weekend that I have been looking forward to for weeks is over? Yes. But can I wait to see Becky's facebook album,which like this blog, will probably only interest about eight people? No. If your name is BGbabe, Meelzy, Katie-kiwi, Bman, Andy Voila! Jimmytown, and Sid has Sids--well, I hope you enjoyed. Miss you, love you, bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment