Sunday, May 23, 2010

Prom

Great weekend. Saturday night combined two of my most favorite social events, a Camp Schodack birthday party, and an LHS c/o '02 birthday party. And, to top it all off--Caitling Greatling (my college roomaay) was here visiting from Beantown.

As another weekend comes to a close, I write to you, thinking about a different weekend that springs to mind. Earlier this evening, I was perusing facebook, checking out the latest, when appearing on my newsfeed was an album entitled--"Livingston High School Prom." Obviously, this I had to see.

Yes, I have facebook friends that are still in highschool. Yes, I know how weird (and possibly creepy) that may sound to some of you. However, my teenaged facebook friends are my former Camp Schodack campers. One of them happens to be from Livingston, just like me. I clicked on her prom album--mostly because I wanted to see what the girlays were wearing to prom this year. (In case you were wondering, short dresses were all the rage). As stated in an earlier blog, I recently tried on my senior prom dress, and literally could not get the dress up over my ass. (RIP Highschool Body).

For a girl, getting ready for the prom is an all day ordeal. There's hair and make-up to be done, and mani/pedi's to be had. It takes hours to look that good! I would love to know how long it takes a boy to get ready for prom. My guesstimate is somewhere around twenty minutes. Once my hair, make-up, and nails were done, and my dress was on (seamlessly over my butt), my prom date came to pick me up. My prom date by the way, affectionately named me, Fish-tits (and still calls me that to this day). After taking a series of identical photos, we were ready for prom to begin!
(An aside: Years later, (aka...last year), I made out with my prom date's older brother. Things did not work out between us, as I am 99% certain that he was sincerely frightened after seeing the lifesize poster of Luke Perry in my room. Can't say I blame the guy).

Prom was an eventful night, but most eventful of all was the weekend that was to come. I look back in awe that we actually pulled this off without anyone getting arrested, (or killed).
180 kids in my class, rented 18 houses in the Poconos, where we spent Thursday-Sunday.

And, so I ask you; who the fuck would rent EIGHTEEN houses to 180 seventeen and eighteen year old kids, who were just looking to get drunk/laid all weekend?!? (An aside: Though, I did not lose my virginity on prom night--about eleven of my friends did, and I still to this day find that to be hilarious, cheesy and cute all in one). And oh yeah, most of us girls came back with lovely post-prom parting gifts--Urinary Tract Infections.

Post-prom weekend was a memorable one. One that I will remember, well...probably forever. Writing this blog entry inspired me to look back at my prom pictures. I love that the people in my photographs are still my best friends today. The pictures from post-prom are unreal. We all look so young, and baby-faced. And, that is exactly what we were--we hadn't even gone to college yet! So, on the eight year anniversary of prom night approaching, I realize that not a whole lot has changed since that night. Instead of people from my class asking each other to prom, people from my class are beginning to ask each other to marry them. So, are things changing? Sure, maybe a little. But deep down, where it counts; we are still those same seventeen and eighteen year olds who just want to get drunk and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment