Sunday, February 28, 2010

Ya Just Never Know

New York City is a strange place. With ten million people living on this island, it always sort of amazes me when I run into someone unexpectedly. Now, don't get me wrong-- if I had stood on the corner of 34th Street and 3rd Avenue two years ago, I probably would have seen my entire high school graduating class. (Love ya Murray Hill!). But, with all the possible things to do, and places to be in NYC, it really does baffle me each time I see someone, in some place, that I did not expect. These situations always seem to sneak up on you, and you just never know when you might run into someone unexpected...

On Saturday night, I went to the bar Ella (Ella, Ella, Ella), I had entered the bar by myself as I was running late (as per usual) and meeting a group of my friends there. I was making my way across the bar, towards my friends, when my eyes met the gaze of a stranger across the way. Only--wait just a second... he wasn't a stranger--he was actually a guy that my friend had dated a few months prior; things had not worked out between the two of them, and I hadn't seen him since. (FYI: My friend that dated him was also at this bar--needless to say she was moderately displeased by this situation). I was making my way towards him to say hello, when I stopped dead in my tracks. Standing next to this fellow was someone that I was also familiar with. I never forget a face. (That's actually not true, I forget faces often, but--thanks to facebook--I never forgot this face).

Hmm...how to say this tactfully? Standing next to my friends ex-boo, was someone who had seen the likes of my lifesize Luke Perry poster, late one night, last summer. Great. Fucking Fantastic. Oh, how I would love nothing more than to say hello to some asswipe who, um--ya know...with me, and then never spoke to me again. A true gentleman, if you will. But alas! It was too late, both boys had already seen me, and now I had no choice but to approach them. The small talk (or, unwanted stop and chat) between me and my friend's ex-boo's, friend (Did ya get that?) was uncomfortable at best. And the very obvious discomfort that this boy was feeling, gave me anxiety, and I excused myself to go to the bathroom.

Oh, New York City, you are a strange place, and I just never know when I may run into an old friend, relative, or late-night Luke Perry visitor.

2 comments: