Thursday, February 4, 2010

Just some Tunes

I kind of love angry girl (semi-pop for some) singers. (Not in a Lillith Fair type of way). But, there are some songs, that are so ultimate girl unleashing, that they really just sort of speak to me. (And yes, I am totally serious).

Let's take Alanis Morisette's, You Outta Know, for starters. Alanais UNLEASHES her unfathomable fury at Joey Gladstone. (Dave Coulier). Beware. Her lyrics are brutal and direct. Alanis is passionately hurting in this song, in a way, that you can't help but to love her just a little, (and want to kill Joey). I also love how she is literally yelling (but in a somewhat poetic way) throughout the song. (An aside: I remember sitting on my bed in 6th grade, a copy of the song's lyrics in my hands, while Rweissypantz and I tried to memorize each and every word, while simultaneously choreographing a dance). As an eleven year old, I don't think I quite understood Alanis's message. But, as a 26 year old--I get it, Alanis. I get it.
And every time you speak her name does she know how you told me you'd hold me until you died--but you're still alive." Pretty powerful stuff. Joey Gladstone left her for another woman, and she is left wondering, would she go down on him in a theatre? Every time I hear this song, I instantly get pumped up. Something about an angry woman (due to man troubles) really fires me up.

Next in line for me came Christina Aguilera's, Fighter. Now, while I thought that this song was my anthem for the summer of 2002, (More on this later) I would soon learn that this song was actually about Christina's destructive relationship with her father. I took this song's lyrics and applied them directly to my own life. " I thought I knew you--thinking that you were true, guess I couldn't trust, called your bluff, time is up, cause I've had enough...So, I wanna say thank you cause--it makes me that much stronger, made my skin a little bit thicker, thanks for making me a fighter" Fuming after discovering my high school bf had cheated on me while I was away at my college orientation, (Are you laughing? This is a little bit funny). At the time, Christina's lyrics gave me what I thought was the strength that I needed to move on. Yes, I am serious. And yes, I just threw up a little writing that last line. Also, even mentioning this experience, as some sort of trauma makes me laugh outloud a little. Who cares? (Apparently I did in 2002). But, all joking aside, at the time, there was something truly consoling to me about Christina's lyrics. (Also, I used to drive by said high school ex-bf's house and blast this song from my jeep with the windows down). Yeah, I probably could have used some therapy. Love ya Hindsight!

Then came Kelly Clarkson's, Since You've Been Gone in December of 2005. Perhaps a poppier version of Fighter. But none the less, those lyrics impacted me as well. If Kelly Clarkson could breathe, and move on without this disastrous man in her life, then so could I. This song came out just when I needed it the most, (probably the next time that I was seriously traumatized by a male in my life). It may be five years later, but those beginning chords of Since You've Been Gone, still get me going every time.

And lastly, in my women empowerment songs, comes Fiona Apple's, Criminal. Even though this song came out in 1996, I would not discover it until much later. The music video is one of my favorites. Fiona Apple is at some kind of 70's orgy with male models. Fiona is hot, in kind of even further emaciated version of Mary-Kate Olsen. In this song, she is the hurter, not the hurtee. She's seeking redemption for her bad, bad ways. Fiona is seeking a good defense, cause she's feeling like a criminal. And ya know what? I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment