Monday, February 15, 2010

A Little Peek Inside My Closet!

This is nothing new for me. And there is simply nothing that I can do about it either. But, every time that I am home, in the house where I spent my childhood, I have no choice but to rifle through old momentos, pictures, and journals. Each time I do this, I become increasingly nostalgic for times that have passed. (It is also becoming increasingly clear to me that I MUST publish all thirty-nine of my journals. They are a real treat!) As always, being home, I have made some very interesting findings in my closets and drawers. Hope you enjoy a small sampling of the gems that I found today!

1. Just some Nancy Kerrigan/Tanya Harding trading cards, circa de 1994. No big deal.

2. My prom dress. Yeah sure, why would it fit me? It's been eight years, and I weighed -14 pounds at prom. But none the less, here I am, trying to squeeze my body back into it. Here's what I learned: I did not have hips or an ass in 2002. Ugh, womanhood.

3. Seventeen magazine circa de 1995-1997. Found my Seventeen fall fashion guide for 1995. Animal print, plaid and Doc Martens. Kinda cool, a little bit ugly. But perhaps most importantly of all, in the fall of '95, I was eleven. Why was I reading Seventeen magazine?

4. Dated from May 24, 2004, an excerpt from Journal # 25 (Age 20).
"Saturday night was sooooooo awesome! I went to the city, to go to this new club, Tonic. Amazing music, kind of a jap scene, but still sooooo much fun!!!"
(If you live in NYC, then you know--it doesn't get any better than this).

6. My 11th grade journals. 72% of my journal entries from the 2000-2001 school year revolve around sloppy 2nd, (sucking tit). These journals also contain various printed out AOL conversations between me and different boys discussing sloppy 2nd techniques. Who (or what) was I?

7. My 9th grade Earth Science notes. (Along with all of my notes, separated by semester for all four years of highschool). What a loser! Although, Brooke and I probably could have used these notes last month, when I (we) had to take this course as a twenty-five year old.

8. My Lacrosse Varsity Letter. It took me three years on JV, but I did it, baby!

9. A book entitled "THE BOYS FROM BEVERLY HILLS 90210" circa de 1992. (I got it at the Scholastic book fair). If you don't think that this book is coming back to the city with me tomorrow, then well...you would be dead wrong.

10. A baggie of kepas (yarmulke) Did I spell either of those words right? You know, the head things that are worn in temple? Yes, well I saved every single one from every bar and bat-mitzvah that I attended in 1997.

11. Signed autographs from Jaleel White (Steve Urkel), Danielle Fishel (Topanga Lawrence), Candace Cameron (DJ Tanner) and Ann M. Martin (Author of the Babysitters Club Series). Who's jealous?

12. Dated from "February 7, 2001" An excerpt from Journal # 19 (Age 17)
"I'm really upset, I hit a parked car today. It was the third time. I went out for lunch and was trying to get out of a parking lot, and I kind of scraped the other car, whoops!!" I hate when everyone tells me how to drive when we're in the car, I'm the one with the license, dammit!"
This journal entry was pretty much a precursor for my next nine years on the road...

*Eventually, I had to stop this project of retracing my steps down memory lane. The overwhelming factors of just how much has changed, and just how much has stayed the same started to confuse me, and I needed to lay down.

No comments:

Post a Comment