Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mid-Winter Vacation Chronicles

Is it okay that I became irrationally angry at the three high school girls that I saw today in the Short Hills Mall? I watched them as they laughed and chatted about whose sweet sixteens they were going to, while they casually picked up dress after dress, skirt after shirt in Bloomingdale's.

I grew increasingly angry for two reasons. The first is that these sixteen year old girls dressed cooler than I ever did at sixteen. In fact, at sixteen I had just retired my Winnie-the-Pooh sweatsuit. (I know, I may have been a bit more delayed than the average sixteen year old.) None the less, something about these tiny teens with their undeveloped bodies dressing the same way, or cooler than I do really infuriated me.

The second reason that I became so angry at these innocent high school bystanders is that I will probably have to live off of pasta and bagels for the next week and a half to compensate for the ONE dress that I bought.( Josh and Michael--if you're reading this...it was on sale! And, hey, if you can't EVER treat yourself--what I ask you, is the point of working?) And so it is...sixteen year olds who have rich parents will continue to live in the laps of luxury, and I will be there too...a jealous bystander in the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment