Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The 90's

Ya know, sometimes I really do think that I was born in the wrong decade. Many of you reading this would probably agree with me. When I watch television shows from the early 90's with friends, most cringe at the Lycra, spandex and polka dots. But me--I am sitting there taking notes on how I can perfect my own outfits. I love the 80's/early 90's fashions, and am thrilled that so many of them have come back in style. You don't believe me? Just step foot into any American Apparel. Don't get me wrong, I would not want to actually be grown up, and in my 30's right now. And, of course I love my friends, family, my cell phone, and everything else that being born in 1984, and a 20 something in the 00's entails...but my obsession with early 90's pop culture has just hit an all time high...or maybe it's a low.

I just spent the past hour on YouTube watching different clips from late 80's/ early 90's TV shows. I researched Behind the Scenes Saved by The Bell trivia, Jason Priestly in the 1989 sitcom Sister Kate, and then I watched the entire pilot episode of Melrose Place. (Which to my great delight features Jennie Garth (Kelly), Brian Austin Green (David), Tori Spelling (Donna) and Ian Ziering (Steve ) from 90210). Though, Dylan McKay was not featured, he did get a couple of shout-outs on that first episode. I became totally ga-ga over Andrew Shue's character, Billy Campbell. Naturally I had to imdb him (A perk of living in '09) and see recent photos of him. THAT is when reality set in. Sure in 1992 he was a total babe with a perfect bod. But, let's face it-- he was only twenty-five years old at the time! (Gasp, my age.) Today, in 2009 he is a married forty-two year old with children.

A perfect example of my decade-distortion of reality is when I attended Tori Spelling's book signing last March, I could not wait to meet her. However, my reality did not quite match up to my perception. Though, I am very aware of Tori Spelling's actual age (35 at the time), the nostalgic(and mildly delusional) part of me was still expecting to meet fresh faced, virginal, Donna Martin, young and eighteen years old. When I actually got closer to Tori Spelling, I saw that she was a thirty-five year old pregnant woman, who was not so fresh faced (or virginal for that matter). As ridiculous as it sounds, (and I KNOW it sounds ridiculous), I actually felt disappointed when I saw her.

I have to remind myself that living in a previous time period/falling in love with TV icons from the early 90's often distorts your perception of reality. Luke Perry will always be my # 1, and I'll always be true. But, I can't deny that I love Luke Perry circa de 1991...Luke Perry circa de 2009...not as much. It's too bad that when Luke Perry hit his peak I was only seven...oh, what could have been...maybe it is time that I start living in 2009. But let's not kid ourselves, k?

4 comments:

  1. Risa just shared w/ me your link and I have say that i will be an avid reader and hopefully your first DC fan! you're not the only one that has searched youtube in search of early nineties TV shows. check this one out. one of my favs and it is sure to bring a smile to your face http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vbnLYROCj8.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, is it okay that I just got the chills from that theme song?

    ReplyDelete
  3. fisher!! lynn just clued me in to your blog and it is already a part of my favorites! check this out, camp-lovahhhh...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-JL_cU1wrs&feature=related

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now we have shared a lifetime of the fondest memories--by the lake of Anawana, set in the oon pine trees.

    ReplyDelete