Monday, March 7, 2011

Single White Female

We've all seen this story before. One female inevitably wants to become a different female of her choice. In the process, she slowly tries to assume her identity. It was a movie made in 1992. It was a Beverly Hills 90210 storyline in 1996, and even a "new" 90210 storyline this past year. But, never did I think that I would see a kid-sized version of this take place in my own classroom.

I have a favorite student. Her name is Annie. Sure, I'm not supposed to have favorites. But, I simply cannot help it. She is literal perfection. Annie is adorable. Her smile lights up a room, and I am actually put in a good mood just by being around her. She is one of the few children that I would voluntarily be around after three pm. She is helpful, creative, friendly, and witty. She is not only my favorite student this year, she may just be my all-time favorite student in my five years teaching.

Annie is a small Chinese girl with a very Irish last name, and a distinct haircut. Her bangs are cut bluntly across her forehead, and she has a short bob. Annie also has a best friend in the class. Her best friend, as best friends do, likes Annie a whole lot.

This past weekend, Heidi (Annie's best friend) got her haircut. Her formerly long straight hair was transformed into the exact same bangs and bob cut that Annie has. When the two of them stand next to each other, (which is often), it looks quite creepy. They have the exact same haircut. Something about this is not right. When, I told Heidi that I liked her new haircut, she very openly told me that she got it cut that way because that's how Annie's hair was cut. Creeeeeepy. Annie had no problem with this, and thinks it is just great that she and her number one bestie have matching hairdo's. Sure, they are kids--I guess that you could call this sort of thing cute. But, if you ask me...it's really pretty disturbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment