Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Date-ing

When it comes to dating, does the golden rule, (do unto others as you would have done to you), apply?

Ever gone on a date with someone that you are just not that into? But, despite the fact that you may not feel an overwhelming chemistry, you have a decent enough time that you talk yourself into going out with the person again. After the second date, it very clear. You are not feeling this. After the date ends, you pray that this person will fade away into the abyss. But, of course, they do not. You are contacted, and asked out again. (It's never the ones that we want to hear from, right ladies!?)

Here's the thing: You don't have a real interest in dating this person again. You gave it a shot, and you are not looking to waste anyone's time. What do you do? Well. Here are the three basic options that my friends and I have experienced.

A). Ignore this person's calls and texts. (Personally, I find choice A to be incredibly rude, do not wish to be treated this way, and would not treat anyone this way in return).

B). Give some lame-ass, I can see right through you response. We've all heard or given these excuses. "Things are really crazy with work right now." (NAH!! Not buying it). This falls into the same category as "It's not you, it's me." Nope, sorry. It is you. Because, if I liked you enough, I would make it my beeswax to see you.

C). Man or woMan up. And, tell the truth. You tell the person that you're not interested in continuing this. Choice C is clearly the most difficult to do, but in reality--it is the most honest, the least likely to lead someone on, (and would be the choice that I would prefer to hear).

It's tough, and we have all been on both sides of this. When we like someone, and want to hang out with him/her, we feel hopeful. We want to buy into the lame-o responses that we are given. We think that just maybe we are the exception. Maybe, (s)he really is busy...

Either way, it sucks to be let down. It sucks to let someone down. So, while I am no dating expert, it's hard not to think about this. And, I can't help but wonder if I'm meant to be spending my nights dating people that I kind of never want to see again. Going forward, I'll be gentle, and I'll be honest. And, I can only hope for the same in return.

No comments:

Post a Comment