Wednesday, August 11, 2010

So, This is Growing Up.

Ya know, time is a funny thing.

Ever notice that when you look away for a little; you can see the change in others, you can notice the people around you growing up? But, why is it so incredibly difficult to see this growth and change within yourself?

This past week, Brooke and I went to visit Camp Schodack for the night. (Yes, again). On our drive up to camp, one of my best friends from highschool called me. And, yes. He just so happens to be getting married this weekend. As I listened to him speak about his upcoming nuptials, and that in five days he would have a wife, I couldn't help but think that this was the ultimate paradox of who I am; and how time affects everyone in different ways. As my friend was getting ready for his WEDDING this Saturday, I was driving to SLEEPAWAY camp. Are we on the same page in life or what!?

Being up at camp is always amazing. However, this time I had a very different experience--one that made me wonder about the essence of time; and one that made me see how much everyone has grown and changed. (Including me). I was chatting with the CIT's (Counselors in Training--girls, ages fifteen and sixteen). I could tell by the way that the girls looked at me, that they didn't see what I saw. ( A topless shimmying, constantly singing, Frosted Flakes eating, Bacardi guzzling, silly, secretly fourteen year old girl at heart). I could tell by the way that they spoke to me; that what they saw was someone who grew up at camp, and had now returned to camp as a real grown-up.

The girls asked me what it was like to be a CIT long ago. (Eleven years ago to be precise). I felt like their grandmother. But, more than that--I remembered when these girls started at camp, as eight year olds, I was around eighteen at the time. I knew this group of girls because they were the youngest bunk on camp, and were damn cute. And, suddenly--here they are--hot ass teenagers with killer bods, and pretty faces. And while I know they are still very young--I couldn't help but wonder--how did this happen? Where did the time go?

This whole growing up business is also evident in my relationship with my old campers--who have become seasoned counselors at Schodack, and more importantly, actual, real friends of mine. If my old campers are growing up, I guess this means that I am growing up too. If growing up means that I get to go back and visit a place that I love, and still feel the same fondness for it that I always have...then okay. I'll take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment