Thursday, April 2, 2009

kill me, please.

Ever notice that the people who run universities are mindless idiots? If your mother, father, sister, brother, uncle, aunt, cousin, wife, husband, boyfriend or girlfriend are in this position, then I hope I have not offended you--but none the less--I stand true to my statement.

Today I met with my advisor at grad school. Almost like a check-up at the doctor, this was supposed to be a routine visit, relatively painless. I did not expect to leave my advisor's office in tears ready to punch a small child in the face. No, no--that feeling is reserved solely for the way I used to feel after returning from a math tutoring session. Emotionally fragile and ready to punch someone in the face. I. AM. LIVID. I have been in graduate school since September and just tonight in APRIL, I was told that I would need to take two undergraduate courses, one in math and one in science. But wait, didn't I graduate college three years ago? Oh yeah, I thought so too. Math and Science! My most favorite subjects! If you don't note the sarcasm, then you will be the one I punch in the face.

Let me put something in perspective for you. Math and I are like rubbing alcohol and a giant open wound on my finger, Math and I are like the Yankees and the Red Sox, like suede shoes on a rainy day--we just don't mix. Math and I have had an extremely tumultuous relationship over the past two decades. In the 6th grade I was moved out of "regular" math with all the "regular kids," and was transported into "low math." Aka...freakazoid central. I was mortified, and begged to be switched back out into "regular math." My wish was granted, and that was where I would stay for the next five years...just struggling to pass. Literally. In the 11th grade I passed Algebra II (the course) by just TWO POINTS. I was this close to repeating Algebra II. Against my will senior year, I was moved into remedial math (and even met my 12th grade boyfriend there.) Isn't that so sweet? The story doesn't end there. I moved onto college where I was only required to take ONE math course as an English major. I had to take that course THREE TIMES in order to pass. Yes, you could say that I am moderately deficient at math..unless it's recalling years, dates, ages, and calculating how old you were in the 90's...but other than that--ya got me!

I finally thought that as a 25 year old, with almost three whole years of teaching experience under my belt, I had finally put my math woes behind me. At long last I thought that the days of taking useless and irrelevant classes were a thing of the past, kind of like my blue asphalt jeans and yak-pak. An actual part of my job is to console children, and ease their anxiety when math feels hard for them. I am the teacher that says things like, "When I was your age math was really hard for me too!" My students always respond just as I used to. With a roll of their eyes, they say..."Yeah right! You're a math teacher." Little do they know that those very words, "you need to take another math course" brought a chill to my spine, and actual tears to my eyes.

Apparently, my grades were not high enough in the ONE math and ONE science course I took in college. In order to be a certified New York State teacher, I need to be proficient in both of these areas. Let me tell you something, I have taught math to 4th graders just fine. You do not need to be a rocket scientist to figure out that 2/4 is equivalent to 1/2. So now here I am INFURIATED that I have already paid my yearly salary to this institution and sacrificed hours of my time, only to be told that I need to repeat two courses that I already took (and passed) in college five years ago. No, it's fine. Let me just add in two more classes that meet two times a week into my schedule of teaching full time and taking graduate courses at night. It's great, I don't need to have friends, fun or a life. I HATE MY ADVISOR, I HATE MATH AND SCIENCE COURSES, AND I HATE ALL OF YOU.


love ya guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment