Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Pop-Up Video

This blog is dedicated to a gal that I admire quite a bit. Her name is Lauren E. Her fearless, what do I have to lose attitude, provided her with the unique opportunity to hook up with a former OC cast member from season three. (Johnny Harper). You know Johnny. He is the character from Newport Union, who falls in love with Marisa Cooper, and later falls from a cliff splattering to his death? Mmhmm, that's the one.

Lauren found "Johnny" on Facebook, sent him a message, and would later meet "Johnny Harper" for dinner while on a work-related trip to Los Angeles. A hook up followed dinner. The OC ranks closely behind Beverly Hills 90210 as one of my all time favorite shows, and I am still amazed (and jealous) that Lauren had the chance to ask Johnny questions about the back stories on the show. (For the record: Johnny's real name is Ryan, but for my own purposes, he will always be Johnny). So, to you Loosh. You are actually my inspiration. You taught me a very important lesson. And, that is this: It is possible to find an F-list celebrity on Facebook, message him, meet him, and hook up with him in his apartment. You go girl!

This week I re-discovered something magical from my childhood. While channel surfing late one night, I stumbled across the VH1 classics channel. What I saw on TV, nearly took my breath away. There they were: My former version of Saturday morning cartoons; pop-up videos. Pop-up videos, (in case you missed them the first time around) appeared in the early to mid 90's. They were music videos of popular songs, with tidbits of information that would "pop up" in speech bubbles. The information seen in pop-up videos ranged from trivial information about the artist, the song, or the behind the scenes production of the video.

I watched the pop-up video for Meatloaf's, "I would do anything for love." I learned that the name Meat Loaf is what actually appears on his credit card. I also learned that Meatloaf earned his nickname back in highschool, when he accidentally stepped on his football coach's foot, and was apparently built like a meatloaf.

Next, came Mariah Carey's 1995 Fantasy video. I learned that this video was filmed at Rye Playland. I also learned that in highschool, Mariah Carey earned herself the nickname Mirage, because she never attended school.

The greatest part about these videos is how totally 90's they were, and thus how dated they've become. A perfect example of this is during Meatloaf's, I would do anything for love video. A particular fact that popped up onto the screen was that in the year 2007, Meatloaf will turn 56. Yikes. It's too bad that this fact referred to an event that was supposed to be wildly futuristic, and yet occurred four years ago. And, finally I'll leave you with this: We all know that Meatloaf would do anything for love. But, to this day, nobody (Not even Pop-Up Video) knows what he won't do...

No comments:

Post a Comment