Sunday, February 13, 2011

Happenings

On Friday afternoon, I taught a group of fourth grade students how to do the running man. (Often referred to as the Roger Rabbit). As, I danced my favorite early 90's move for a small group of children, I couldn't help but ask myself: Am I actually getting paid to do this?!

Alright, I'm spilling the beans to all of you. I am on Okcupid. (Dating website). As my Meelzy said, it ain't nothin' to be embarrassed about! Online dating is so in. Okcupid is free, so why the heck not?

I had logged into Okcupid, scoping the scene for babes, when I received an IM. It simply said, "Hey." Before I even had the chance to reply, the boy wrote again..."In the last picture that you have up on your profile , you're standing next to a girl. She's pretty hot. Any idea how I can get in touch with her?" Oh, really? Did that really just happen? Did someone just message me on a dating website to ask me about my friend!? (The friend was Becca Girl, in case you were wondering).
Classy. Real fucking classy.

Foolishly, I told my mom this story, thinking that she might get a kick out of it, as I had. That was not the case. And, as a result I learned that I have to be much more selective with the information I share with her. Last night, I received a message on facebook that said:

Laur,
Maybe you want to put up some pictures that are just of you. You're such a pretty girl! You don't need to be compared to your friends. Think about it.
Love,
Mom


Oy vey.

And, lastly. I learned a very valuable lesson. Well, actually I learned two valuable lessons this weekend. The first is that you get what you pay for. (I won't go into detail on that one). And, the second is that sometimes, it really is best to say nothing at all.

A few months ago I met up with an old friend who was in New York City for the weekend. This close friend had been living in Asia for the last four years, and I hadn't seen him in over two years. Seven Tequila shots later, and I think we all know how this story ends.
This was not the first time a night had ended this way for us. And as my friend said, these things happen with good friends. (Well, they happen to us anyway). During the course of the night, something occurred that was very embarrassing for me. And, even though it's months later, I still feel embarrassed when I think about it. I'm not quite sure what came over me, but I felt the need to confess my lingering humiliation to my friend.

Of course my friend remembers zero things about that night. (Except that I tried to make him touch my formerly broken, but still mutant pinkie). I could have had a free pass! The slate on my embarrassing moment had been wiped clean! Until, ya know. I reminded him of it. What lesson have I learned? Well, this I suppose: When something embarrassing happens to you, let it go. Do not bring it up four months later. Everyone else has probably forgotten, except for you. Fuck my life, for realzies.

1 comment:

  1. whoa--you left us hangin. not telling us what exactly went down that night!! while i'm annoyed cause i wanna know, it's a very grown up thing to do :) AND it's a great writing technique. keeps us coming back for more. xo

    ReplyDelete