Friday, October 1, 2010

In Case You Missed Them

Someone recently said to me that my blog is not really about my students anymore, but that it is often about me getting drunk. Well, what can I say? Priorities, priorities.

But, in case you missed them...here are some highlights from this past week in the Third Grade...

In math class, we are studying estimation. I pulled out all the stops on this one, bringing in jars of jelly beans, m & m's and skittles. My students and I had a good time trying to guess how many of those little suckers fit into those jars. (And, then we had an even better time afterwards eating the math manipulatives).

The number of individual objects, strategically placed by me, were all under 200. Therefore the counting of these items outloud together, was a relatively painless process. That is until, Miles, (one of my students) asked if we could estimate, and then count all of the legos in the classroom. Oy. The legos are kept in a GIANT blue tub, and there had to be at least 1,000 of them in there. As a teacher, I know that when your students have an interest in something, you are supposed to capitalize on it, but I didn't know if I had all that counting out loud in my already hoarse voice in me. Soon, desperate cries of "Oh, please can we count the legos, Please," were heard around the room. How could I say no to this vested interest in estimation? And so, with a heavy heart, I trudged over to where the legos are kept, pulled out the box, and began to count each individual lego, piece by piece with my students. Two math periods, and 2, 456 legos later, we found our answer. And, I know mine. Fuck what my students are interested in.

One of my most adorable students is a small Asian girl (with a super-Irish last name) named Annie. Annie has bangs that cut straight across her forehead, adorable little glasses, and a smile so contagious, I can't not smile when I'm talking to her. (She is just that freaking cute). Annie has an infectious personality. Though, she is a new student this year, she is the friendliest, most outgoing child I have ever met in my life. Each day Annie arrives to school wearing a striped t-shirt, a solid color skirt, (usually pink), and some sort of print on her leggings. (Animals, flowers, polka dots). On her feet, she wears colorful mis-matched socks with sandals. Today, during read aloud, Annie curled up in my lap while I read. After about five minutes of reading, I looked down at her, and Annie was fast asleep. It was precious. I let her sleep until I finished reading. And, wouldn't you know, when Annie woke up, and took her head out of my lap; there it was. A tiny little puddle of drool on my skirt.

Dismissal at the end of the day is done from our individual classrooms. During dismissal time, kids have a free choice time. They are able to draw, read, play with games etc. This is also a time that my students ask me to play music from my computer. Here are this week's latest requests: Taio Cruise-Dynamite, Eminem-Lose Yourself. (2002, Holla!) Lady Gaga-Pokerface, Katy Perry-Teenage Dream (my personal fave these days), and as always the song that is popular every year in my classroom, We Will Rock You.

And, lastly...a story not about one of my students, but about me, and my butt. You see, I have a pair of boxers that I love to sleep in. They are soft, and comfy, and I have had them forever. The one problem is, somehow what started as a little hole in the butt of my boxers, has turned into a giant window, where you can see my entire ass. (Picture ass-less chaps, but in boxer form). Despite the giant hole, I continue to wear them when I'm alone in my apartment. Washing the dishes in my kitchen one night, my roommate had walked in the door from work. With my back to her, (forgetting that I was wearing my faux-ass-less chaps), I heard laughter coming from her. Bonk looked at me, and simply said, "Fisher. You're disgusting." Oh, if only I had a dollar for every time I heard that...

No comments:

Post a Comment