Thursday, June 24, 2010

California Girls

Perhaps it is my affinity for Asians. Or that regardless of who I marry, my children will automatically resemble tiny Asians. Why? Because, I myself am part-Asian. Maybe not biologically, (who needs genetics anyways!) But, as many of you well know, (or as my facebook pictures can prove)... any time that I smile, laugh (or breathe) my resemblance to a member of the Asian descent becomes strikingly uncanny!

Perhaps it is for that very reason that I have discovered one of my favorite campers in the group, at the day camp that I am working at. A tiny, Asian girl named Ilene. There is something about her face that is just delightful. (Yes, I am aware of just how creepy I sound right now). Ilene is a tiny little human, but she has a HUGE personality. The things that come out of Ilene's mouth are never what you expect, and she is just priceless. Today at camp, (day four) was the first day that I started to think...just maybe this whole day camp in the city thing might be kind of fun after all.

We were listening to my ipod, which greatly appealed to all of the nine year old girls in the room, and one eight year old boy named Jake. (Not sure what that says about me, and my musical maturity, but I'll let you be the judge of that). Playing random songs from an ipod turned into a competitive game of Name That Tune. Points were awarded to the player that named the song correctly. Bonus points were given for naming the correct artist. The kids did a pretty respectable job, and knew some obscure titles and artists. My co-counselor, Lauren played the beginning part of California Girls. Instantly, Ilene jumped up, and yelled..."California Girls, by Katy Perry featuring Snoop Dog!!!"

Wow. I was impressed. Ilene knew that California Girls featured Snoop Dog. Could Ilene be a closet-Snoop fan? I asked Irene if she ever had heard of Snoop Dog before California Girls had come out. Irene looked up at me and said, "Nope. But, I've heard of Snoopy."

Ah, Perfection. Thank you, Ilene.

No comments:

Post a Comment