Tuesday, December 8, 2009

School of Rock

The students in my class love music. Like, okay. That might sound like a boring, and even obvious statement. I mean, don't most people feel pretty okay about music? However, it is still hard for me to find the words to describe the sheer enthusiasm and joy that seems to overcome them when they hear music--and good music too. They are into John Lennon, Led Zepplin, The Clash and The Cure. (Granted I only listen to music from the early to mid-90's and whatever is playing on z100 at the moment). But, from what I've been told-- they appreciate good music none the less. I feel that their musical taste is mature, and I'm sure these artists have been subtle inflictions by their parents over the years. My students are very knowledgeable about their musical history too. Just yesterday, Adam and Henry asked me what it was like for me when Kurt Kobain died. (Um...Can I get away with, I was ten years old?)

Each day, as the school day draws to a close, my students beg me to play a song from my ipod or off of youtube. Usually, I take requests and play them straight from youtube. Their favorites being the ever popular 80's ballads; Eye of the Tiger, Bohemian Rhapsody, and We will Rock You. When these songs come on, watch out--they sing with a fury that is truly unleashed. It's heart warming at the very least.

Today was no different, only this time, a request from a 2009 surfaced--Empire State of Mind.
I decided to shuffle through my own ipod to find this song, when one of my students asked if he could see my ipod. Thinking that this was a harmless request, I said okay. But, that he could only scroll through by artist. (I couldn't let him see, titles such as "I'm in Miami Bitch, and Sex on Fire," now could I?) As he scrolled through my artist list, Adam realized something about me that the rest of you already know. The music on my ipod (thus the soundtrack of my life) appeals to that of an eleven year old girl. Adam looked down at my ipod, and looked back up into my eyes and simply said,"Miley Cyrus? You have got to be kidding me!" To which he followed with, "Hey everyone-- our 25 year old teacher has Miley Cyrus on her ipod."

Yes, Adam really said that. And as I found myself trying to defend myself to the likes of eight and nine year olds, I realized that there was no use. We are who we are, and if I'm eleven years old on the inside, well...that's me. Take me for what I am.

1 comment:

  1. desperately wishing i still worked at mmcl. could i be any more nostagic for a bunch of 12 hyperactive, language disabled, nyc ten and eleven year olds and the people who choose to work with them?! no.

    ReplyDelete