Sunday, May 31, 2009

Here Comes The Bride

I have said it before, and I'll say it again: Being in your 20's is this sort of strange phenomenon. We may all be in the same age demographic--but everyone seems to be moving at a very different pace. Case and point: Not only do I still doodle Mrs. Lauren Perry on spare pieces of paper (That's Luke's last name in case you weren't sure). I still fret daily over boys that I meet in alcohol induced stupors. Does he like me? Will he text me? What did he mean when he said nice to meet you? And, if I do receive a text message from a bar crush, I must consult at least four friends before any response can be sent. Similarly, other girls my age are making seating arrangements, picking out china patterns, and deciding on floral arrangements for their weddings. Yup, we're totally on the same page.

Today was a semi-milestone in my life. I attended my first bridal shower for one of my childhood friends. It was a lovely party, but none the less--extremely surreal. Heather walked into the room, looking adorable, and tearful from the surprise. Her whole entrance into the room gave me the chills. (I know, everything gives me the chills.) But really, my entire leg hair(s) grew back simultaneously with her arrival. As I looked at Heather, her tiny frame, her young looking face, I could not help but think--this is a friend that I have had since I was seven years old. And, she is actually old enough to have a husband. Technically, that makes me old enough to have a husband. I have been married on facebook now for the past four years. (I know, that's almost like a real marriage). I don't remember why or how Jay (my facebook husband) and I decided to announce our faux nuptials via facebook--but here we are four years later...still married. This was all in good fun. Until now... In the past year, I have received six e-mails from old college friends, who I had fallen out of touch with--congratulating me on my wedding. My wedding!? Excuse me? Is it time to get a facebook divorce?

While Heather unwrapped her gifts, all the women (ages 50 +) ooohed and ahhed over flatware and glass bowls. I don't think that I'm ready for that. Although to be fair, I'm not sure that I will ever be ready to oooh and aahh over glassware. Note to my future bridesmaids/fellow shower goers: At my wedding shower, please buy me the following items: the complete 90210 DVD set, a lifetime supply of ketchup, and an all expense paid shopping spree to Urban Outfitters, American Apparel, H&M, and Forever21. If I have learned anything from this small milestone of today, it is that it's okay to be in different life places at different times. After all, to each their own--right?

No comments:

Post a Comment