Tuesday, May 26, 2009

May Twenty-Sixth

I think it can become pretty easy to take for granted how well we know our friends. When you know someone really well, you come to accept, and even love all of the idiosyncrasies that make us individuals. Close friends know each other's habits, (like coming home and watching 90210 every day while eating an ice cream sundae). Their likes, (grilled chicken, string cheese salads, rainbows and watermelon), their dislikes (math), what makes that person happy, (sunshine, sleepaway camp and ketchup),what makes that person sad, (highschool's end seven years ago) and even what makes that person angry (freakshow students). We just get those things about each other. The quirks that you love your friends for, and those that they love you right back--just might be the very same things that are confusing, odd and just plain frightening to a stranger.

An example of this: If you were to walk into my bedroom right now--you might think that a twelve year old girl,(possibly a lesbian) circa de 1991 lives inside. There is a large rainbow colored flag on the wall, a polka-dotted rainbow blanket on my bed, and a life size poster of Luke Perry on the wall next to my bed. But alas, looks can be deceiving--there is no 12 year old living inside those walls, just a 25 year old living in 2009. For those that know me well, seeing these things in my bedroom would not surprise you at all, but for someone who does not know me as well--these are the very things that could send a person running!

I may sometimes take for granted my friends genuine acceptance, and understanding of me, and my many quirks. However, as for the likes of a pseudo stranger--that may not be the case. It is hard for me to go into further detail without becoming too tactless, or compromising my integrity. So, I will leave you with a short, but important moral of the story. If you meet someone in a bar, perhaps a gentleman suitor-- and bring them home with you--your life size poster of a 90's pop icon may scare them, just a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment