Thursday, June 16, 2011

The End

It was September of 1994. My first day of fifth grade at Harrison Elementary School, in Livingston, New Jersey. I excitedly packed my backpack, grabbed my lunch, and took our annual Fisher family first day of school photo. (My older brother was going into the ninth grade, my younger sister was beginning first grade). I kissed my mom goodbye, and ran ahead of her and my sister, all the way to school. I was about to become the oldest and the coolest in school--finally a fifth grader. I loved the idea of ruling the school. I was a ten year old girl, hardly the ruler of anything, but to me being a fifth grader kind of meant everything. Later that night, after telling my mom what a great day I had, I burst into tears. Though, it was only the first day of school (179 days away from the last), I cried because I didn't want fifth grade to ever end. Ahhh yes, and here I am seventeen years later...

If ever a situation described me more, it is this. I cried about not wanting something to end a year before it did. People don't really change. (Or, atleast, I haven't). I am still the same 5th grade girl at heart. And, though I have survived all of life's "endings" and successfully transitioned into new beginnings, I still wish something so good didn't have to come to an end...

This past week was my last week as a Center for Ants employee after five years. Yes, I cried like it was the last day of camp, in front of all the children and their parents. (I am soooo professional). As I come to terms with a very significant chapter of my life coming to an end, it is comforting to know that I get to adjust to this transition slowly...over my three month summer vacation...

No comments:

Post a Comment