Friday, September 17, 2010

Treasures Beneath My Bed

As per usual, when finding myself home in New Jersey, I am forced to look through old mementos in my room. Shockingly, tonight's search was not fueled with my usual bout of nostalgia, but rather because I am a mess of life, and am losing all of my belongings. First there was my wallet, (Grandma Eva found it, thankfully!) Next came my ipod, and now one of my favorites shirts is missing. (A travesty in my opinion). Both objects seemed to have disappeared right from thin air, so I hoped for the slim chance that these items could be found in my Livingston, New Jersey bedroom. Both my ipod and my shirt were no where to be found, but all was not lost. Instead I found myself on the floor of my room, knee deep in the past. Here is what I discovered:

1.Delia's Catalog circa de 1997. I love that the early 90's fashion is infused everywhere, even the mid 90's styles are back. (Ie: plaid, flannel, and animal print). But, please, please, please don't bring back the late 90's. Nothing about these styles are flattering. Ladies, this Delia's catalog speaks for itself.

2. A map of Camp Schodack circa de 1997. (This is coming back to the city with me, framed).

3. The handwritten lyrics to Crystal Waters, Pulse. (From the back to the middle and around again, I'm gonna be there till the end--100 percent. Pure love).

4. A slew of old college pictures. Hm. I wish someone would have told me that tight tank tops did not match well with a beer gut.

5. A picture of my dorm room, sophomore year of college. (2003-2004). The room had a rainbow border (that I bought from a teacher store) and the walls were covered in assorted rainbows, pictures of my friends, and 90210 paraphernalia. Hm. Sounds vaguely familiar...

6. The MOST unbelievable pair of teacher-on-Halloween earrings. (Picture your 4th grade teacher on Halloween). Dangly jack-o-lanterns dressed as tricker treaters. (These will also be returning to New York City with me).

7. A pink ballet tutu. I must find a way to wear this out.

8. A sparkly hat that looks similar to what I would imagine a cartoon DJ would wear. Can that be my Halloween costume, cartoon disc jockey?

9. The Mt. Pleasant Middle School Phone Directory from the '96-'97 school year. Something about seeing the name Lauren Fisher ,with my own private phone line, (which no longer exists anymore), and Grade 7 written next to my phone number really, really made me smile.

10. An entire book of stamps!! (This would be a huge score, if the stamps weren't from the year 2000).

11. A pair of bowling shoes, taken right from the alley.

12. And, lastly...A paper dog wearing a sign that says, "I like it ruff!" (No doubt this was stolen from Jay-Riv's house in college).

No comments:

Post a Comment