Saturday, July 24, 2010

Goodbye, Apartment 4D

It was almost exactly three years ago that I stepped foot into 230 East 30th Street for the very first time as a new resident. After a year of residing at 3 Longacre Drive, commuting to Brooklyn each day, and having my mom and dad as roommates, I was more than ready to move to New York City.

It's been a pretty big three years in my apartment. Some could say that one could go from girl to woman in that time. Okay, so I probably did not turn into a real woman in the past three years living in NYC, but I'd like to think that I've grown up at least a teensy bit since entering Apartment 4D as a fresh faced twenty-three year old.

In one week from today, Bonkers and I are moving to a new apartment together. It certainly is time to move (seeing as we thought we were moving back in August '09). None the less--as always, as something comes to an end, I am feeling a wee sense of nostalgia for my soon to be former home. Listed below are the things that I will miss most about my very first Manhattan pad.

1. The slew of extremely attractive men (boys) that live in my building. Even though, nothing ever escalated past mildly uncomfortable elevator chatter, the attractiveness of these men brought me both great excitement and comfort. (An aside: I did have one apartment building fling. On the night of my 24th birthday, I very drunkenly hooked up with my next door neighbor. (I passed out mid-hook up. Classy, I know). Given that we had virtually no relationship prior to our one night together, for the next year, until he moved out, every encounter that the two of us engaged in was extremely awkward, and almost unbearable. What's the big deal, right? Well, you get to third base with your apartment neighbor and tell me if riding the elevator with him the next day isn't the least bit uncomfortable).

2. There have been no insects or rodents to speak of.

3. The kitchen renovation party; a night where friends came together to celebrate our newly renovated kitchen, and a small Mexican stranger carrying a backpack entered the apartment, ready to party.

4. Asian Tranny. I might miss you the most.

5. My large bathroom with the three way mirror. How will I ever be able to straighten my hair without you? Additionally, it is not only my favorite bathroom to poop in, but it has been voted number one by my friends for this very reason too.

6. I've had some dang good alone-naked dance parties in this apartment.

7. I will miss when one of my friends sits directly underneath the giant lamp in my living room.( Those of you that have seen my apartment know that the lamp looks like it belongs in Mario Brothers Three--Extra-Large World)

8. I will miss being able to be in my living room and kitchen at the very same time. (Nope, probably won't miss that).

9. BANC (Bonk) is on the corner of my block, and if it had not been--well my roommate would probably still be living her life as "Rachael."

10. Goodbye black leather loveseat. We sold my couch to the girls who are moving into our apartment. What I failed to mention to these girls as they handed me cash(money hoes), is that the couch is the place where I ate my frosted flakes naked, made out naked, and stuck my boogers in between couch cushions, (naked). Yep. I remain constant as your most revolting friend.

It's hard to sum up three years of memories into one blog entry. But know this: My apartment, (my very first big girl apartment), made a good home. 4D was a place that I retreated to after being mentally demoralized by third graders, where I came to broken hearted, and where I shared stomach hurting laughter with my friends. But most importantly of all, it served as my favorite place to watch 90210, while eating a Hershey Bar, while blogging, while being naked, all while being in both my kitchen and my living room...at the very same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment