Monday, January 27, 2014

Wanna get thirtaaay? (C. Becca Girl)

I recently turned thirty. Okay, so I literally just turned thirty four days ago. For all of you who have not crossed over the line into your thirties I have some good news for you. Turning thirty is a lot like getting a shot. There is all this anticipation. It's kinda scary. You're a bundle of nerves. You can't believe you have to go through this. And then it happens, and you're all like wait, what!? That's what I was afraid of!?!? Turning thirty was a piece of cake compared to what I had built it up to be. I think  turning twenty-nine was actually harder! Because all year it was the "last February in my 20's, the last March in my 20's, the last April in my 20's…you get the idea. Too much build-up and anticipation! But I'm here to say that four days into my thirties and things ain't so bad!

I think part of what blows my mind is thinking about how I've entered this decade verses how I will most likely leave it. I've always been kind of a late bloomer and this is no exception. I am entering my thirties unmarried, without children. When I leave ten years from now, I have a feeling much of that will be different. It's scary to think that my life ten years from now may be completely unrecognizable to me now. And while there are no guarantees to any of this, it's kind of a crazy thought to think the decade you have entered may bring you more change in your life than ever before.

I loved my twenties. But I fucked up a lot. I'm looking forward to fucking up less, because guess what? I know more stuff now. I feel so much smarter about life things now than I did at twenty-five or even twenty-six. I know myself and I am learning what I really need to be a successful adult. I feel more confident and I look better than I did at twenty-two. (Woof!) It's exciting. If this is what being thirty is about, then bring it on baby! And finally... it really helps to have the most incredible friends and family anyone could ever ask for. The love I received over the last few days has been overwhelming in the best way imaginable. My birthday party was such a special night spent with friends and family celebrating. Not everyone has friends that would devote their time to make a sign-in board for a 30th birthday bash (bat-mitzvah) filled with ugly pictures of you. Or make the unbelievable effort to individually wrap candy bars with pictures of your face. Thirty. You sound kinda scary. But so far, I like you just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment