Sunday, November 20, 2011

The Little Things

It's funny the way that a 2000's relationship progresses; it's ususally the "bigger" things that happen first; and the seemingly smaller things don't happen until later. For example, in a new relationship of boyfriend and girlfriend, chances are the couple has been "dating" or "hooking up" for months prior to that official title. Twenty-somethings really take their time when getting into an "official" relationship. Where we don't take our time is with sexual progression. And, chances are high that sex probably happened pretty early on between the couple, long before they became "official." And, it's the other stuff--the smaller stuff; like kissing in public, during the day, (soberly). Or holding hands, in public, during the day, (soberly), that probably didn't happen until later. Much later.

It's funny to think about. As a person with different sexual experiences under her belt, I still get nervous about those little things. Like, the moment right before I walk into a bar or a restaurant for a first date, or right before I know I'm going to kiss someone for the first time. I still get nervous. Even when I'm about to kiss someone that I've kissed before. I get nervous. Like, butterflies violently flapping their wings inside of my stomach, kind of nervous. In a way, I hope these feelings don't change. I'm not sure that I ever want to get to a point where I feel immune to this stuff. And, even though I've come a long, long way from hand holding...it's still amazing that sometimes it really is those little things that make all the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment