Sunday, August 21, 2011

Schodack Weekend

It is a rare, and truly lucky thing to feel so comfortable around a group of people that you can completely be yourself, and share anything. I'm talking, no inhibitions, no filter, just completely uncensored you. Even if this includes sharing your daily pooping schedule, sharting, the many uses of a wifebeater, (ie: as toilet paper or a tampon substitute), playing numerous rounds of whose face would you rather sit on, and letting it be known that you maaaay have accidentally peed on someone. (Whoops).

It is a rare thing to have these types of co-ed friendships. The type in which a male friend, in an attempt to maintain the well-being of the other passengers in a long car ride home, says to you, "You either get five free farts, or one free shit your pants." (Please love me still: Brooke, Jeff, Nate and Marla). I know that I can be a semi disgusting human at times, and for me to be me, and share that openly...it kind of means everything.

Who are these people that I am referring to? This group of friends that I feel one hundred percent myself with. Well, they are my camp friends. And, while I certainly value the other relationships in my life outside of camp, I visited camp this weekend for our alumni reunion, so, that's what I'm gonna write about here. Okay?

For fourteen summers, Camp Schodack was my summer home, and to this day--probably the most influential experience of my life. Camp helped shape me, taught me invaluable social skills, and most importantly, helped foster some of the most important friendships I have. I am very lucky to live in the same city as these friends. For my group of friends, a camp reunion is not necessary for us to be reunited. But, to be able to spend time together, at camp, outside--that's the amazing part. When was the last time that you woke up in a room, sleeping in bunk beds with fifteen of your best girl and guy friends?

Being at camp this weekend felt special, not only to reminisce and laugh with my best friends, but also to spend time with my old campers (many of which have become close friends). This Schodack community ties us together, and keep us together. And, I think that it always will.

My voice is very hoarse. And, sure that may have something to do with the multiple Bacardi and diet cokes I consumed at camp. But, mostly... it has to do with all of the singing, cheering, and laughing I did. Pretty much, all I did this weekend was laugh. Laugh, and wonder why there were ants in the parmesan...and in the cereal. 12123, you never let me down. Amazing weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment