Sunday, July 24, 2011

Nobody Likes You When You're Twenty-Three

Or do they? When Blink182 came out with the song, "What's my age again," back in 1999, they sure knew what they were talking about. Why is it that all of the boys that I meet lately are twenty-three (or twenty-four) years old? If age ain't nothin' but a number, how come it matters to me?

Single guys my own age can often times be immature, selfish, and still trying to get their shit together. (No offense, boys). So, you can see my concern. The younger you go--the scarier it can seem.

That being said. In my time as a single gal, I have not let age hold me back. (Well, to a degree anyway. I am not looking to meet a fifty year old, or a twenty year old either, for that matter). I have been open minded when it comes to age. I have hooked up with/dated older guys, younger guys, and guys my own age. (An aside: With one exception, this past winter I accidentally made out with someone born in the '90's. He had an English accent, I thought that he was older!! This event has scarred me for life).

Are the older boys not going out as often? Do the younger ones not know to leave the city on weekends in the summer time? Or, do I just attract a younger boy, because I myself look young? Last night I was saying goodbye to a close friend that is moving out of the city. (My first friend to leave NYC). After his party had died down, the rest of us went to celebrate Sheetly's birthday at a nearby bar. Accompanying Sheetal, was her younger brother and his tall handsome friends. This is when I realized that these tall handsomes were... sigh...only twenty-three. Oh...what could have been...

I have some experience in this arena, as I recently went on a four date stint with someone in this age range. (Twenty-four). A very attractive guy, with a super, fun personality--but there was something missing...and our age difference, though not huge, did come up in conversation, and yes. It did seem to matter. We have since gone our separate ways. I can't help but wonder if that age difference really did make an impact. I wonder if being in your twenties can be compared to your first few years of life, where every week, month and year counts. Both are time periods where many big changes occur in a small amount of time. And though, we are both in the post college phase of our journey...I am a little bit further along.

Recently, a close friend of mine told me that she had been semi-dating a forty-five year old man. Wow! Forty-five sounds like an actual, real man's age. (When my dad was forty-five, he was married with three kids, the oldest kid--sixteen). I asked my friend what it was like to date a much older guy. (Mostly, I was just curious what the sex was like). What she said surprised me. To her, it really felt no different than dating someone our own age, because this particular guy had the emotional maturity of a twenty-five year old. Mmhmm. So, there you have it. Can I rest my case?

No comments:

Post a Comment