Thursday, September 17, 2009

Only 159 more days...

Day six here in the third grade. I am so exhausted, that if I were to close my eyes right now, I'm pretty sure I'd be asleep in less than 30 seconds. Those of you reading this who are teachers understand the amount of energy it requires in order to keep up with kids (and their boundless bundles of energy). Teachers need energy not just to spend time with kids, but also to manage them, to ask them to keep their hands to themselves, (and off the walls when we walk through the halls), and helping to them to negotiate the rules of an intense game of Connect Four.


Earlier today, I announced to the class that I would be starting our read aloud book. The kids erupted in a cheer. ( I thought that they were cheering because they really like the book). Jimmy raised his hand. I called on him and he said, "Oh! I just love how you read out loud with such great expression!" Wow. Want to know the key to my heart? Tell me that you think I'm good at reading out loud. (And, if I do say so myself--I am a pretty good out loud children's book reader).

Just a few short moments later, once I was done reading, Chelsea came up to me and told me that her tummy hurt. I asked her why? She replied, "well--it could be gas." She paused for a moment, and appeared to be pushing one out--and said..."yeah, it was just gas." (Side note: the area around my desk slowly began to smell like baby diarea). Adding insult to injury, shortly after that Kevin blurted out, "oh my god--look what just came out of my mouth!"--before I could tell him that whatever had just come out of his mouth, I did not want to see-- Kevin unfolded his hands to reveal a large, green phlegmy boogery substance. It took every ounce of self control I had not to slap him in the face while simultaneously vomiting both in, and out of my mouth. Is it June yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment