Saturday, June 2, 2012

Merry June!

Did you think I had forgotten about Go Fish? I hadn't, and I haven't.  I have just been busier in the last few months than I have been in what feels like all of my life. And, well. I guess that's a good thing.

We made it to June. (HOLLAAAA!!) I wait all year for this moment. I am a summer time girl. I love the sunshine and the warmth. And, I like myself best in shorts, skirts, and flip-flop tanned. For most people the end of the year means December. But when you're a student or a teacher, your "year" revolves around the school calendar. Since I went into teaching six years ago after graduating from college, (and have been in school since I was two and a half), I simply don't know any other way of life. My year starts in September and wraps itself up in June.  Summer holds actual meaning for me. And truly... I wouldn't have it any other way. With just ten days left in the fourth grade, I feel it is safe to say that I did it! A congratulatory YAY is in order.  I survived my first year in a new place, despite many initial reservations and hesitations.

A lot has happened this past year, both personally and professionally. And, I've come a long way from the girl who cried for the first two weeks in September because I was homesick for The Center for Ants. Yes, I still miss my old school. But in a different, much less painful way.

When thinking about another school year coming to a close, it's hard not to be reflective on the happenings of this past year. When I started at my new school back in September, the first person who wished me luck via text message is no longer in my life. (As it turned out, he had a girlfriend while we were doing it). And once this information was brought to my attention, I didn't stick around.

Hindsight is really a magical thing. It allows you to see all the things that you couldn't see while you were in the thick of things. Hindsight and I agree on a lot of things over that relationship. The biggest one being: Cheers to it being done. I have grown wiser since, and yes--I do feel smarter about how I'd like to handle myself going forward.  Later in this same year I had a pseudo relationship. In the end I had to do something really difficult. I had to end it.  And while I do think fondly of this person, somewhere deep down I knew we weren't quite right for each other. And no matter what.... I still think I would rather be the dumpee then the dumper. I don't like knowing I am the source of anyone's hurt. And at the very least when I am the rejected one, I can write an angry blog post.

Things at work were challenging at times but as the year went on, I made real friends, and developed real bonds with my students. And, in ten days---I will really miss those kids. (Well, most of them).

Next Saturday, I will be partaking in my first ever 10K with my Becca Girl. I'm proud of the hard work we've put in in preparation for this event. Now, I just pray that I don't have to poop mid-run.

This year has brought me many great times and things. And, also some not as great times and things. It is comforting to know that with each experience, I grow and learn, just a little bit. And, I guess you really can't ask for much more than that.

No comments:

Post a Comment